Return to Blog

Epilepsy Awareness Month

Posted by Danny Williams  | 18 Nov 2019

 Epilepsy Awareness Month

  • Epilepsy can affect anyone with a brain.
  • Each year 150,000 more people are diagnosed with epilepsy.
  • Over a lifetime, one in 10 people will have a seizure, and one in 26 will develop epilepsy.

Epilepsy occurs regardless of age, gender, cultural or socio-economic background. Epilepsy can develop at any stage of life, but it is more common in children, adolescents, and people over 60. There are at least 40 different types of seizures. A person with epilepsy may experience one or more seizure type. Their behaviour during a seizure depends on the type of seizure and the area of the brain being affected. Around 70% of people living with epilepsy will gain control of their seizures by taking anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs). For the remaining 30%, their epilepsy is considered to be ‘uncontrolled’ or ‘drug resistant’ and alternative treatment options, such as neurosurgery or vagal nerve stimulation, may be offered to reduce or eliminate seizure activity. Some childhood epilepsy syndromes are ‘outgrown’.

Epilepsy impacts on people in different ways. For some people, living with epilepsy will not have a big impact on their life. Others may experience some physical, psychological and social impacts. Epilepsy can impact on a person’s education, employmentlifestylehealthsocial and family life.

Epilepsy is sometimes described as a “hidden” condition or disability, because it may not be obvious that a person has epilepsy, unless they have a visible seizure. Sometimes, even the person living with epilepsy doesn’t realise they have had a seizure.

Epilepsy research can help transform and improve the lives of people with epilepsy. There are now many Australian and international investigations trying to better understand epilepsy, discover new treatments and find a cure.



Post a comment:


  • txbncsncvbmz Sep 21, 2020, 3:36 PM (7 days ago)

    nemwknlplrlo us department of justice case search
    vermilion county case search <a href=> name search</a> alabama judiciary case search <a href="">michigan court cases search</a>

  • sildenafil 100mg coupon Sep 19, 2020, 6:34 AM (9 days ago)

    sildenafil 100mg coupon

  • azithromycin 250 mg tablet Sep 18, 2020, 3:38 AM (10 days ago)

    azithromycin 250 mg tablet

  • sntygkxxogsn Aug 30, 2020, 5:26 PM (29 days ago)

    case search ny vluxlqnjnubc maryland judiciary case search <a href="">yuba county superior court case search</a> case number search illinois <a href=>search high court cases</a> maryland judiciary case search
    maryland real case search <a href="">search and seizures cases</a> maryland judiciary case search <a href=>west virginia case search judiciary</a> illinois circuit court simple case search ijpthzzdujvf new york case search
    maryland judiciary case search <a href="">west virginia judiciary case search free</a> georgia case search <a href=>maryland judiciary case search</a> ccap wisconsin case search

  • their website Aug 28, 2020, 12:00 PM (31 days ago)

    navigate here <a href=>image source</a> more help <a href="">what is it worth</a>
    md judicial case search <a href=>cobb county case search</a> article source <a href="">dade county clerk of courts case search</a>

  • ventolin inhaler coupons Aug 17, 2020, 9:14 AM (42 days ago)

    ventolin inhaler coupons

  • hydroxychloroquine cost canada Aug 17, 2020, 5:53 AM (42 days ago)

    hydroxychloroquine cost canada

  • prescription cephalexin 500 mg capsules Aug 17, 2020, 5:12 AM (42 days ago)

    prescription cephalexin 500 mg capsules

  • Trsdduaal Aug 16, 2020, 9:33 AM (43 days ago)

    tadalafil 10 mg <a href=></a>
    sildenafil teva <a href=""></a> sildenafil 50 mg 4 compresse prezzo

  • viagra 200mg pills generic Aug 15, 2020, 6:17 AM (44 days ago)

    viagra 200mg pills generic

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Return to Blog