Time to get your heart pumping!
Two great fundraisers are approaching Melbourne this month. Both World Jump day and Run Melbourne events are on July 20 & 29 respectively.
Apart from being two great events supporting a number of charities, they also have something else in common. They get your heart pumping!!
Let’s take a moment to discuss all things aerobic.
Aerobic exercise (more commonly known as cardiovascular exercise) is physical exercise of low to high intensity that promotes the circulation of oxygen through the blood and is associated with an increased rate of breathing.
Examples of aerobic exercise include:
- Brisk walking (you should find it mildly difficult talking to your walking partner)
- Football, soccer or tennis
- Heavy cleaning or gardening
According to Australia’s Physical Activity and sedentary Behaviour Guideline for Adults 19-64 years, it’s recommended that adults be active on most, preferably all, days every week; accumulate 150 to 1300 minutes (1.25 -2.5 hours) of vigorous intensity physical activity, or an equivalent combination of both moderate and vigorous activities each week; and do muscle strengthening activities on at least 2 days each week. (ABS, 2015).
Benefits of aerobic exercise:
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Lowers blood pressure
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Reduces asthma symptoms
- Reduces chronic pain
- Aids sleep
- Regulates weight
- Strengthens immune system
- Improves brain power
- Releases endorphins & boosts mood
- Reduces risk of falls
- Safe for most people, including children
- Affordable & accessible! You only need a park!
Need some tips on how to get active? Seek advice from an appropriate health professional.
Yours in good health,